Repopulation Government of the Pitcairn Islands

Home > Living

Living

Stacks Image 13854

The Pitcairn Island General-Store and the Warehouse

Established as a co-operative society in 1967, the store has provided for the household needs of the community ever since. It is now a “General Store”, run as a government department, with a staff of three. The Store contains three refrigerators and six chest freezers, stocking frozen meat, vegetables etc. Groceries, toiletries, clothing and footwear, kitchenware and stationary are stocked on the shelves. The items are purchased in New Zealand and sent to the island on the supply ship four times a year. The separate Warehouse stocks; timber, plumbing, electrical, white ware, gardening supplies, auto parts and general hardware.
Stacks Image 13829

The Museum

The Pitcairn Island Museum is situated above the Square, and displays a number of artifacts and items, some of which have been donated and loaned by islanders and people from all over the world. Artifacts, such as the stone tools, which were made by Polynesians prior to the arrival of the mutineers, are on display. The anchor recently restored in Australia has a place of pride. Other artifacts include Bounty relics (salvaged from the wreck), a well-used traditional wheelbarrow plus kitchen equipment and tools from the early days. Pictures of bygone generations are lined up in glass cases. There is also a display of numerous books and articles written about the mutiny and Pitcairn Island, which have inspired even more books, movie and articles as well as visitors to the island.
Stacks Image 13852

The Pitkern Island Cultural Centre and Pitcairn Tourism

Thanks to global marketing and a focus on improving and establishing tourism products and services, the number of visitors to Pitcairn continues to increase since the Pitcairn Islands Tourism Department was established in 2010. Pitcairn Islands Tourism is also committed to supporting initiatives which help to protect the island’s marine environment and raise awareness of the islanders’ unique relationship with their coastal ecology and natural environment. In partnering with PEW, National Geographic, the Darwin Initiative and other international organizations it is anticipated that such initiatives might include education, training and outreach programmes, aligned to the Island’s aim of building local capacity and enhancing tourist opportunities and experiences. The department also supports Pitcairn’s accommodation providers, and liaises with prospective home stay guests on their behalf. A government-chartered ship, ‘Claymore II’ currently provides passenger services between Mangareva and Pitcairn, a two day crossing, generally in three rotations every three months.

The Pitkern Island Cultural Centre is situated in the middle of Adamstown, and houses the Tourism Information Office, the Island Library and the Pitkern Curio and Craft Gallery. Plans for a small sailing club with facilities for visiting yachts, like book swapping, computer services with Internet access etc. are under way. Pitcairn’s cultural, historical and natural resources are invaluable assets – the increasing global interest in ecotourism, will continue to positively impact Pitcairn’s future sustainability.
Stacks Image 4169

The Library

After changing location several times in the last six years, the public library is now located at the temporary Cultural Centre site. A good selection of books and DVDs for both children and adults can be found on the shelves, including books on Pitcairn’s history and heritage. “Mutiny of the Bounty – Story of Pitcairn Island”, a book written in 1894 by a native daughter, Rosalind Young, is proudly displayed.
Stacks Image 13850

The Health Centre

Until 1944 there were no medical personnel on the island, and islanders relied on their own remedies and the occasional doctor coming ashore from ships. But in 1944 the Australasian Union Conference of the Seventh-day Adventist Church appointed the first resident nurse on Pitcairn. For many years it was the practice for the wife of the resident Pastor to be a trained nurse, residing on the island for a two year term.

Since 2004 there has been a resident doctor, contracted for a 6 or 12 month term, always available on island. He or she is support by a local, qualified nursing assistant and increased passenger services to Mangareva has enabled Pitcairners to seek more specialist medical treatment in Tahiti as well as in New Zealand when necessary. When treatment or an operation is required, medical as well as travelling expenses are met by a government loan or grant.

The general standard of health on Pitcairn has been as high as anywhere in the Pacific. In the earlier days, the island’s isolation protected the islanders from some of the diseases that played havoc elsewhere in the Pacific. However, even casual contact was sufficient to introduce the Pitcairners to common infectious ailments such as colds and influenza. Today, due to the island’s isolation, the Pitcairners are still very susceptible to colds and flu carried by visiting ships or visitors to the island.
Stacks Image 13846

Pulau School

Pulau School provides pre-school and primary education for resident children
Teachers are appointed on 1 year renewable basis. The New Zealand curriculum is taught.
Cyber safety policies are also part of the curriculum. Higher Education from 13 years is usually completed at boarding school in New Zealand.